University of Tampere - Language Centre
2.6.–11.6. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 16.30–19.45
15.6. Monday at 16.30–19.45
17.6. Wednesday at 16.30–19.45
and 3 lesson (contact lessons or online study, more information will be given when the course starts)
In addition, independent work (the schedule will be given when the course starts)
The course aims to provide the student with core communication skills in English for academic purposes. These include understanding the conventions of English academic communication and applying critical thinking to reading, writing and speaking about research in English. The students will also become familiar with English as a lingua franca and the influence of context and culture on communication.
The course corresponds to the Introduction to the Academic English course (4 ECTS) in all Bachelor-level degrees of the University of Tampere.
On completion of the course, students are expected to be able to
- - identify and apply the basic elements of academic reading, writing and speaking
- - critically evaluate sources, and use them in their own writing / speaking
- - express their own argumentation clearly and logically
- - communicate clearly and logically about their own field
- - work cooperatively contributing to the completion of tasks
- - continue developing their English language and communication skills independently
To achieve the learning outcomes, students will
- - be introduced to the basic aspects of academic reading and writing, such as the structure and language of a research article, using stylesheets, summarizing, and following good academic practice
- - participate in various speaking exercises in appropriate academic/professional style
- - prepare and deliver a presentation
- - evaluate their own learning
- - give and receive constructive feedback
The teaching language is English.
Will be distributed by the teacher through Moodle.
Modes of study
Continuous assessment and/or exam(s), completion of tasks (specific criteria given with task), attendance and active participation, self-assessment, other criteria will be given by the teacher.
Numeric evaluation: 1–5
The information published above is subject to change.